Saturday, August 1, 2015

Clarity, Part 2

1.)     Active Verbs
     Passive Verbs have always been an issue for me. I never know how to go back in my work and change the passive tenses to active voice. I am surely getting better, but I often do not know the best way to create active voice.  I the idea behind changing sentences into passive voice, but I guess I just need some more practice with it.

2.)     Parallel Ideas
     Balancing parallel ideas doesn't seem too difficult for me. I think I am pretty successful at keeping things in the same tense and keeping similar ideas.  I never really thought about liking ideas with coordinating conjunctions though. I feel like I already do that.

3.)     Mixed Constructions
     The entire section on untangling the grammatical structure seems redundant to me. I don't think I have much trouble with that type of stuff. The same thing goes for straightening out the logical connections. Every now and then, I may have some tangles logical connections, but overall, I think I do a decent job at keeping everything straightened out. The section  "11c" was interesting to me because that one seemed too familiar. I know I use "is when" and "is where" and similar phrases.  That's something I try to catch, but it often slips by me.

4.)     Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers
     I find it interesting to make sure the limiting modifiers go in front of the words they modify. I never really considered that the location of a word, even if only one word is separating the modifier to the verb/noun, could change the meaning. That is really neat to see that first hand in an example. I will definitely notice the placement of phrases and clauses from now on. Some of these example sentences are disgusting compared to their better counterparts.

I learned that I was a little too harsh on myself about using passive voice in my writing. I found a couple examples of passive voice, but not nearly as much as I thought I would find. The "Clarity" readings that I most recently did were more reminders of what I should and should not be doing, rather than teaching tools. They were certainly good reminders though. It is reminders like that that keep my mind sharp and make me feel as though my writing is improving. Here are some examples of sentences that I changed that relate to my readings on "Clarity."

"There are many ways that technology is increasing and robotics is one of the most profound."
  VS
"Technology is increasing rapidly, and robotics is one of the most profound areas of improvement within the technology sector."

"People who are informed about the issue of rapidly increasing technology look to understand..."
VS
"Technologically informed people seek an understanding..."

"Valez believes that, in the working class, robots will aid productivity and allow the economy to boom because of it."
VS
"Valez believes that robots will aid productivity in the working class and allow the economy to boom because of it."

I changed other parts of my essay in different areas as well, but these were the most profound changes due to the readings on "Clarity."

No comments:

Post a Comment