Monday, July 13, 2015

My Writing Process


ClkerFreeVectorImages "2012 via pixabay.
CC0 Public Domain


1.     What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?
Deep in everyones thought process, in everyones tendencies and within every persons mind, a procrastinator is hiding.  Some people procrastinate writing while others procrastinate the dishes.  I will be brutally honest with myself and I will admit that I am absolutely a procrastinating type of writer.  I have never really been one of the types of people that enjoy writing and thinking critically about pieces of literature; however, when something needs to get done, I get it done.  I am certainly more of a heavy planner than I am a heavy reviser.  I like to think long and hard about what my thoughts are before I begin expressing them to others. This generality applies to my writing as well.  I do not like to revise my work, rather, I like to revise my work as minimally as possible.  I enjoy correcting myself to an extent, but when the correcting gets extensive I find myself getting frustrated that I failed so miserably the first time around.

2.     Does your writing include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?
As I said in my response to the first question, I am surely a bit of a procrastinator; however, I am more of a planner than I am a revisor.  Planning is not easy and it is time consuming, but I would rather plan out a paper than admit that I made unintelligent mistakes and revise those mistakes in the future.

3.      Does your writing process seem to be successful?  What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?
I like to imagine that my writing is successful. I feel as though I am able to get my point across, potentially convince an audience of something I believe in, and do it in an eloquent matter, but thats probably my confidence talking.  I consider myself a decently successful writer. I give myself credit for being fluent and using intelligent words and using those intelligent words in the best places.  Sometimes my writing may seem a little weak because I am not very passionate about the subject matter, and thus my responses get flustered and off topic.  When I write about something hat I find interesting or that I enjoy, my wiring, I would hope, turns out rather well.

4.     Do you think it might be beneficial to try a different approach? Why or why not?
I think that it would not be very beneficial for me to try a different approach.  If I tried to accomplish more during my revising portion of my writing, I may just get frustrated and lose my confidence.  That is one of the more important things to me because if I feel as though I can write well, I like to actually try to write rather well.  If I tried to change significantly, I don't think that my writing would end very well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the honest insight into your writing process.
    Unfortunately your picture is not working. :(

    ReplyDelete