Thursday, July 30, 2015

Reflection on Project 2

The two drafts that I commented on are from the following people:
     Jessica Gonzalez
     Brittany Newland

     The people reading this essay will by my classmates, my teacher, etc; however, from the Project 2 assignment prompt, we are told to write this essay in regards to people in our field of study that will be reading as well. Therefore, the people who will be reading this essay are past, present, and future engineers who would like to know about the robotics industry or those who already have an interest and knowledge in engineering, specifically with robotics.
     The biases my readers have are most likely very minimal. If anything, the biases will be different from one person to the next. Some will believe that robots are affecting humans positively and some will think that they are harming the human race. I feel as though I am respecting their opinions while achieving my own purpose.
     They (my audience) value the knowledge and background of robotics and the author of the article, Miguel Valez.  My audience will want to know what is specifically going on, and how Valez feels about that. I adequately meet their expectations by explaining the basics of the paper, involving robotics, all of the way to the very deep and emotional level that Valez has reached.
     Because my audience ranges from very knowledgable in the robotics fields, to very amateur, it is difficult to give the perfect amount of background information without insulting some level of people. I think I provide enough background to sufficiently explain what is happening to those who are less knowledgable, but not too much to bore readers who know a lot about robots.
     The language that is suitable for the general engineer is one of sophistication, but also casual.  Not every engineer is always hung up the technicalities of what is going on. Not every engineer is super in love with numerical values and equations, etc. Engineers are generally very technical, but the best way to reach them is to be casual when having a technical conversation. I feel as though I accomplish that very well throughout the paper.
     I think the tone that I should use with my audience is informative and emotional. I want my audience to understand the technical aspect of what is occurring, but I also want to get the emotional side of the topic out as well. I feel like I do a decent job of maintaining this tone throughout the paper, but there are some moments that I am sure I strayed away from that tone for a sentence or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment